My daughter bought the Q-Redew handheld hair steamer about a year ago. We are product junkies in this house but sometimes we do not get to all the products we buy right away but a whole year is a bit ridiculous even for us.
This winter I wore my hair out a lot, more than what my favorite natural hair bloggers and youtube vloggers suggest for winter months but I can only take so much of protective styles. My hair definitely needed the extra moisture boost and although my L.O.C. method helped I still felt my hair was not moisturized enough. After reading a few articles on the benefits of hair steaming I broke out the unused Q-Redew in hopes if would do as promised.
The first time I didn’t really notice much of a difference and I attributed the smoothness of my hair to the the products I used after. But one of the benefits of steaming hair is the steam lifts the cuticle of the hair to allow better penetration of moisturizing products. My hair felt better but it was not until the second and third steaming that I really noticed the difference in my hair specifically my ends. My ends are usually dry and every day I spray the ends and put a moisturizing butter on them but by end of day they feel dry again. Since I started steaming my hair it appears that my strands are holding moisture better. I definitely feel the difference because my ends feel much smoother, seriously, much smoother. I think I can attribute that to smoother cuticles and moisture. I am in love!
Benefits of Hair Steaming
- Steaming lifts the hair cuticles to allow for better penetration of hair products. If you do the L.O.C. method steaming will definitely improve the absorption of the products and oils you use.
- Reduce the breakage of hair. My hair would usually tangle from the ends but because the ends were dry but now they are fully hydrated and I don’t have to keep spraying them throughout the day.
- Improves elasticity. Less shrinkage. For me I want my hair to stretch as much as possible without breaking to give me the heightened fro I love. Steaming keeps allows the hair to stretch without breakage.
- Enhances curl definition. Isn’t this what most of us strive for? The extra moisture helps to reshape and give your curl pattern an extra boost.
- Cleans the Scalp. The steam helps to remove product buildup from scalp and opens up pores.
- Hair Growth. Clean and healthy scalp lead to hair growth. Steaming increases the blood flow to the scalp and helps to circulate our natural oils.
The two holes emit the steam and you run the steamer through your hair from roots to ends. Don’t forget to get steam on the scalp. The steam definitely gets hot so be careful.
I really wish I started steaming my hair at the very beginning of my hair journey, it would have saved me a lot of breakage and sad days. Since I have been steaming my hair my fro, set by permrods, have looked awesome and last for a week. A steam touch up helps through the week that is for sure but the curls are are more defined and strong.
If you don’t want to invest in a steamer just yet you can try just steaming your hair in the shower. After a few days you will see a difference and the investment in a steamer will be worth it.